Outdoor Hazards for Pets

Protect your pets from outdoor hazards The arrival of warmer weather means more time outside for you and your pets. But even in your own back yard, there are some potential hazards that could get in the way of the fun. Even certain plants and flowers can be poisonous to pets. Don’t let that happen with these tips to keep your pets safe from outdoor hazards:

Fertilizers and Herbicides

  • Before applying a chemical to your lawn or in your yard, consider whether natural, organic or chemical-free remedies might be just as effective for your intended use.
  • Store all fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides in their original packaging and away from pets.
    Be sure to read labels before application; over-application can lead to excess residue.
  • Cover or remove outdoor food bowls, water dishes, pet toys and bird baths before any applications of chemicals.
  • Do not let your pets in the yard while applying chemicals. Wait until chemicals have dried and even up to four days after application before allowing a pet into the area. Pets who lick their paws after walking on treated areas can be poisoned.

Pesticides, Insecticides and Rodenticides

These products tend to be more toxic to pets than fertilizers and herbicides, so be even more cautious with them.

  • Store all insecticides and pesticides in their original packaging and away from pets. The National Pesticide Information Center (800-858-7378) can help you make informed decisions about pesticide use.
  • garden slugThe most dangerous forms of pesticides include: slug and snail bait (containing metaldehyde, with iron phosphate products also a concern), fly bait (containing methomyl), systemic insecticides (containing disyston or disulfoton), mole or gopher bait (containing zinc phosphide), and most forms of rat poisons. Dogs can be attracted to slug bait that contains metaldehyde. Signs of poisoning include tremors, seizures, shaking, vomiting, hyper-salivation, rapid heart rate, and abdominal pain. If your pet ingests slug bait, contact your veterinarian immediately.
  • Use caution with “pet-safe” slug baits containing iron phosphate. These products can toxic to pets (iron overdose).
  • Natural alternatives to insecticides and pesticides include:
    • Diatomaceous Earth: This is made from fossilized remains of one-celled algae. It feels like talcum powder, but scratches and absorbs the wax layer on a bug’s surface, leaving it to die from dehydration.
    • Fermenting Liquid: Set out shallow containers of yeast, water and spoiled yogurt or beer, and bury the container flush with the soil surface. Slugs love the scent of yeast.

Plants, Mulch and Compost

  • Ingestion of even a small amounts of certain plaints (such as Lilies, rhododendron, azalea, oleander or yew) can be harmful or fatal. Symptoms of plant poisoning include: irritation to skin and/or mouth, diarrhea, seizures, lethargy, unconsciousness, and/or vomiting. Seek medical attention especially if vomiting (sometimes normal in pets after ingesting plant matter) is accompanied by these other symptoms. CLICK HERE for a list of plants that are toxic to pets.
  • Cocoa mulch could be hazardous to dogs if consumed in large quantities.
  • Compost can contain bacteria that, if ingested by pets, can cause vomiting and diarrhea, as well as possibly tremors and seizures. Keep your pets away from compost piles.

Poison Control and Emergency Veterinary Care.

If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, call your veterinarian or emergency veterinary hospital immediately. Other resources include the ASPCA’s Poison Control Hotline (1-888-426-4435, fee) or the Pet Poison Helpline (1-855-764-7661, fee) or your veterinarian immediately.

– See more at: https://oregonvma.org/care-health/safety/outdoor-hazards#sthash.meRELC3H.dpuf