A QUICK TOUR OF OUR HOSPITAL
The hospital was originally built by Dr. William Rhodes in 1942. And as was customary then, it was known as Rhodes Dog and Cat Hospital.
The building was designed in the Art Deco Style by local architect, Ralph Bonadurer. It has also been rumored that famed architect Pietro Belluschi was involved.
Dr. Jack Hardesty purchased the hospital in 1955 and renamed it Sandy Blvd. Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Hardesty retired in 1980 and sold the clinic to Drs. Laurence Sams and Robert Ward. Drs. Sams and Ward were classmates at Washington State University, where they graduated from the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1978. In 1995 they renamed the clinic, Hollywood Pet Hospital, to show its connection to the Hollywood neighborhood. Dr. Sams sold his interest in the practice to Dr. Ward in 2002 and continued to work part time until retiring from the Hollywood Pet Hospital in 2007. Dr. Ward along with his experienced associates and dedicated staff continue to carry on the strong tradition of quality pet care and friendly service.
In 1958 Hollywood Pet Hospital became the first Portland veterinary clinic to be accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). Fewer than 18 percent of the small animal veterinary hospitals in the United States and Canada are AAHA members.
Accredited hospitals undergo a detailed evaluation of services and equipment, and a trained practice consultant thoroughly inspects the hospital to make sure it meets AAHA’s high standards in the following areas:
• Emergency Services
• Surgery and Anesthesia
• Radiology Services
• Pathology Services
• Nursing Care
• Examination Facilities
• Pet Medical Records
• Medical Library
• Housekeeping and Maintenance