CAT OWNERS: LEARN HOW TO USE ‘SPOT-ON’ TICK/FLEA PRODUCTS SAFELY

Your cats rely on you to use 'spot-on' tick/flea products safely

This lovely  weather means that flea season is upon us! Conscientious cat owners are preparing for the battle, armed with what they THINK are safe medications for their pets – but the Oregon Veterinary Medical Association strongly cautions that they need to learn how to use ‘spot-on’ tick/flea products safely:

  1. NEVER apply 45-65% permethrin “spot-on” products to cats, even in small amounts. Highly concentrated permethrin can be extremely toxic to cats.
  2. All flea/tick “spot-on” products – even ones with nearly identical brand names – are not alike. Check the label to identify the active ingredient before you apply it to your cat. Make sure it is labeled for cats.
  3. Read and carefully follow all pesticide label instructions. Wash your hands thoroughly after applying the treatment.
  4. If you have both dogs and cats in your household, you should be aware that using a permethrin “spot-on” product on a dog may cause illness or death in a household cat.
  5. Symptoms of pesticide overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, trembling, seizures, and respiratory problems. If your cat shows any of these symptoms after the application of flea treatment, seek immediate veterinary care.